TWW is The Warped Woodturner who is a local artist living in a suburb of Springbrook, WI (pop 87). His mission is to use a wood lathe to make interesting but mostly useless objects from locally-sequestered carbon for tourists to bring back to the city to give to people they had to buy something for but don't like that well. His target market is the senior citizens since their vision is not as good as it used to be so cannot see the defects as well.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
- Global warming - Liberals think Igorant Sinners drive SUVs and pollute the world but cannot see reality as seen in the quote at the beginning of the article. Recent climate science (Roy Spencer's new book for example) is questioning the party line of the Anthropogenic Global Warming crowd so we will have to see how the people who think with the Ignorant Sinner metaphor react. Will they deny 'reality' just like the Strict Father people deny the liberal truth of Climate Change? Will their Ignorant Sinner metaphor blind them the same way the Strict Father metaphor blinds the conservatives?
- Trees - In the area where TWW lives there (according to tree hugger myths) were zillions of old growth white pine the Ignorant Sinners cut down and then left the area to rot . The problem was the white pines came during a colder period of time (the Little Ice Age?) in about the 16th century. Virgin white pines were not here forever until the Ignorant Sinners cut them down. Are the liberals capable of knowing there were not always virgin white pines in this area?
- Arizona - Does the Ignorant Sinner metaphor keep the liberals from seeing the difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration? Listen to them talk. It is just immigration all mixed together. Part of the Ignorant Sinner view also is to call the ignorant sinners rascist at at every opportunity. So now white race people with hispanic names (like you see every time some form asks you for your race) are not part of the white race? How can people be rascist against members of their own race? It is possible if you view the world through the Ignorant Sinner metaphor.
- more in a later posting if TWW can get beyond his Strict Father metaphor way of thinking
Monday, April 26, 2010
Sunday, April 25, 2010
- Headline: "White supremacist 'stabbed and beaten to death by his black neighbour' in Mississippi town"
- "A white supremacist lawyer was stabbed and beaten to death by a black neighbour who had done yard work for him at his home in Pearl, Mississippi."
- "Richard Barrett, 67, was stabbed multiple times in the neck and bashed in the head...had burns over 35 per cent of his body.....he was killed on Wednesday night and his house set on fire Thursday to cover up..."
- Comment: When a black person is killed this way it shows racial hatred and we would start hearing about how lousy Amerika is but instead we hear: "Richard Barrett was a guy who ran around the country essentially pulling off publicity stunts,' said Mark Potok, who monitors hate groups for the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center...'He really never amounted to any kind of leader in the white supremacist movement.' "
- Conclusion from story: it cannot be a hate crime
Friday, April 23, 2010
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Below we are pointing (without permission) to a web page showing the national debt. See how many of the numbers start with the digit one, two etc. (click on image to expand)
To see the real copy visit see:http://heartlandmusings.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/obamas-budget-and-national-debt2.jpg (this is a good guy blog since they do not believe in AGW)
In his book Your Money or Your Life , Joe Dominquez listed his nine steps to financial independence, integrity and intelligence. Step #6 in his program is about valuing your life energy by minimizing spending. Homesteading is all about doing it yourself so you can minimize your spending. One big fly in the ointment is high property taxes taking too much of your gold. This article is about how you can hang onto more of it. That is where Golden Rule #2 comes in: They who have the gold set the rules. One example of this golden rule is government forestry incentive programs. If you can tolerate playing by their rules and own woodland you may be able to cash in. This might not be as bad as you think. At its best country freeloading is like the synergy created by individuals working together in concert to create a better outcome than the same individuals could do working alone.
Since The Warped Woodturner lives in Wisconsin this article focuses on a state forestry incentives program named the Managed Forest Law. If you live in a different state it will give you an idea of how to start your search for cashing in on the goodies in your state too. Don't limit your search for donors even if you live in the desert and there is not a tree in sight. Government giveaways abound.
Government programs usually exist for a reason though sometimes it may be hard to figure out why. Don't focus on that . Your job is to find out how you can benefit. Government incentives give you money to act in certain ways. Forestry incentives give away money to grow trees for later harvest.
According to the publication Wisconsin's Managed Forest Law PUB-FR-295-2010: "The Managed Forest Law (MFL) is a landowner incentive program which encourages sustainable forestry on private woodlands in Wisconsin. Together with landowner objectives, the law incorporates timber harvesting, wildlife management, water quality, and recreation to maintain a healthy and productive forest. Sustainable forest management benefits Wisconsin’s economy, hunting, fishing, wildlife, recreation, soils, waterways, and air quality, and renews our beautiful forests for everyone to enjoy ."
At first you might think you have to give up your land to keep your gold but the Wisconsin rule-makers realized some people might not like strangers on their land so they came up with open and closed categories of land. The open land category lets you keep more of your gold but closed acres are closed to the public.
Here are some of the rules for the MFL program:
• You must pay for and follow a forestry management plan written by an independent certified plan writer (ICPW) and approved by a Wisconsin DNR forester. Remember the rule-makers can make up their own fancy terms when they create their rules. An ICPW is a private consulting forester certified by the Wisconsin DNR and hired by the landowner to prepare a forest management plan.
• You can enroll in the MFL program for either 25 or 50 years
• You can withdraw early but only if you pay a penalty.
• You only currently pay a per acre fee for closed land of $8.34 instead of normal property taxes
• You pay a harvest tax and also a consulting fee to a private forester to arrange the timber sale (if you are smart) at harvest time as dictated by the management plan.
• You must pay a non-refundable petition fee to start saving
A Few More Rules
To be eligible for the Managed Forest Law, you must have ten or more acres of contiguous forestland. At least 80% of the land must be covered by forest with no more than 20% unsuitable for producing timber like water, vacant farmland, or roadways. Finally, you cannot use the land for crops, pasture or orchards. The good news for homesteaders is you can still cut firewood from your land that is in the MFL program but only for your own use.
The Gold You Keep
It may be easiest to illustrate here using TWW's property as an example. He has 30 acres total with about 24 wooded acres, one acre for his house and a few acres of prairie. He recently decided to put 18 acres into the MFL program.
The acres TWW put into MFL land is mostly popple. While people in other states may love their aspen where TWW lives they call the trees popple and they are giant weeds mostly good for feeding deer, grouse and paper mills. But the beauty of popple for aspiring freeloaders is all you have to do is watch the popple grow. When the forest management plan says to harvest you have the trees cut and pay some forestry consulting fees and the timber harvest tax on the money you get for the timber.
Assuming he understands the rules here is how TWW calculated what he will save in property taxes per year to start using his 2010 property tax statement:
• assessed value of 29 acres (one acre for house was removed): $72,000
• assessed value per acre for unimproved land is $2483 per acre
• $2483 per acre times .14% property tax rate equals $34.76
• $34.76 minus the $8.34 fee for close land means $26.42 saved in property taxes per acre
• $26.42 times 18 acres in MFL is about $476 of property taxes avoided per year
Remember: your results may vary. You should also realize a few things here: First, TWW had to pay for the forest management plan which was around $400. But second, he gets money off property taxes for the next 25 years. Third, while the amount he will pays per acre is adjusted periodically so are property taxes and it usually is not downward. Finally, if TWW ever somehow makes so much money as an author he wants to itemize deductions on his income tax he will have less property tax to deduct.
Perhaps you should also know TWW is used to dealing with rules since he used to work for a county government. He moved to the country as soon as he could collect his pension. Interestingly enough right before he moved beyond the sidewalks, governments began facing revenue shortfalls and needed to shed staff. His employer devised a great buyout plan. Even though TWW was planning on retiring anyway, he still qualified for the buyout. His goals matched the goals of the people with the gold so he cashed in without a major compromise on his values. It was pure synergy. If you already have trees on your land you may already want to harvest trees in the future so your goals may already match some government program.
There is free money out there just waiting to be harvested. You just need to find programs applying to you and learn the rules. Look at it as a game you play with the government. Self-reliance is nice but why not find a way to have the government pay you to do it.
If you want to learn more about sources of this gold for woodland owners check with your local or state foresters. Some people may also get help from the Web page 'Financial Incentive Programs for Non-Industrial Private Forest Owners' found at: http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/econ/data/forestincentives/
Finally, another good source of leads is the next generation . See if your local high school has a Future Freeloaders of America (FFA) chapter.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Sunday, April 18, 2010
TWW asked MAMA to take his picture while pretending to help move the old treadmill out to the moving tractor. Notice his technique as he lets the other people do most of the work.
Almost to the moving tractor.
Safety notice: The health inspectors on Garbin Moraine have red-tagged the solar oven since TWW was not paying attention in the survivalist cooking class he took and used Danish oil on both the inside and outsides of his solar oven. MAMA recommended baking baking soda in the oven to take the fumes out. TWW thanks MAMA for the tip. If TWW ever serves something made in the oven you might want to say "No Thanks".
Friday, April 16, 2010
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
This comment made TWW think his basic belief about the liberal mind may be flawed. TWW thought liberals get uncomfortable with social conditions and want the government to do something to make the discomfort go away as long as someone else to pays for it. The quote above makes it sound like some (very many?) rich liberals really want to pay more taxes. But look closer. Right now you can overpay your taxes and there is nothing to stop the rich liberals from paying more taxes. They can even count their overpayment of taxes as a donation to take on the taxes for next year so they can pay even more in taxes next year than they have to when they overpay their taxes again and on and on. But it sounds like the rich liberals won't pay more taxes unless other rich people do also. The rich liberals are making themselves into victims and it is unfair the other rich people are not paying more taxes when they claim to be willing to do so. More liberal moral superiority at work here? This story also makes TWW wonder where he should buy more dish soap when the current supply runs out.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Sunday, April 11, 2010
TWW has not been blogging for a few days since he was attending a seminar held by a Tea Party/militia group called 'Surviving in a Post-Obama 3rd World Environment'. As part of the seminar he got to build a solar oven. Below are some pictures of the testing of the oven upon return to Garbin Moraine.
The temp rose from about 40 degrees F in about 30 minutes while TWW finished the aluminum reflectors and attached them. He expects to come back after breakfast and find the thermometer melted due to the greenhouse effect. Interestingly enough this solar oven is an example of the greenhouse effects all of the people who promote these contraptions are trying to get rid of.
Thursday, April 08, 2010
- nearly half of US households pay no income tax
- "The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment."
- "The federal income tax is the government's largest source of revenue, raising more than $900 billion -- or a little less than half of all government receipts -- in the budget year that ended last Sept. 30."
- "The nation's wealthiest taxpayers did get big tax breaks under Bush, with the top marginal tax rate reduced from 39.6 percent to 35 percent, and the second-highest rate reduced from 36 percent to 33 percent...But income tax rates were lowered at every income level. The changes made it relatively easy for families of four making $50,000 to eliminate their income tax liability."So what does this all mean? They play and you pay. And when the Bush tax rate cut disappears then will you pay even more?
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Notice how in the last several months the temperatures are going up. If this trend continues continues we will all boil up under the boiling oceans.
Also notice there was an event in about 1998 where the graph looks similar at least on the left side of the rising line. Could there be a connection here ? Remember extrapolation is how the climate scientists keep their grant money coming in. If they predict they might be wrong if the prediction does not come true. But if they extrapolate then if the extrapolation was wrong they are not to blame.
"PHOENIX -- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is implementing a new inmate program at Tent City Jail called “Pedal Vision.”
The program uses inmate-powered cycles to generate electricity for televisions. "
Monday, April 05, 2010
The KinkyCam is guaranteed to take pictures of people the people will not like.
Past posts you fortunately may have missed
- ► 2016 (137)
- ► 2015 (185)
- ► 2014 (143)
- ► 2013 (224)
- ► 2012 (392)
- ► 2011 (389)
- Mrs. TWW's new deck - day 2
- Mrs. TWW's new deck - day 1
- Reverse engineering as a life enrichment activity
- New Observation Platform Arrives
- Fledgling words of wisdom - release 1
- Parents: Want to make the little darlings behave?
- Latest life enrichment activity: watching the oaks...
- More good reporting about hate
- More rightwing hate speech
- First official solar oven baking attempt
- Thought for the day: Benford's law
- White cherry tree
- New old exercise machine
- Birthers Beware! -- Be careful of what you wish fo...
- Treadmill Relocation Life Enrichment Adventure
- Up to 245 degrees F
- Dumb question for the day
- Kinky Cam not yet to the life enrichment stage
- Watch the volcano freeze Europe
- Pee Party day
- Rich people who want to pay more taxes
- When government cannot perform, citizens take over...
- Another good day for testing the solar oven
- With a drought coming and things so bad perhaps rh...
- Treehuggers beware: Planting trees can cause depre...
- TWW attends training seminar
- Great news for last minute tax filers
- This article may be worth skirting a copyright pro...
- Cabin election Results
- New life enrichment opportunity
- quote of the day
- New rightwing hero
- Is the end near (again) ?
- Sheriff in Phoenix helps fight global warming
- KinkyCam Test #1
- More hate speech (a liberal's nightmare kind)
- Should TWW be worried?
- Watch carefully at 1:57 and thank the global warmi...
- Life and/or financial enrichment with hops
- Same day ; different year
- Remember what day it is?
- ▼ April (42)
- ► 2009 (354)
- ► 2008 (274)
- ► 2007 (193)
- ► 2006 (175)