TWW is The Warped Woodturner who is a local artist living in a suburb of Springbrook, WI (pop 87). His mission is to use a wood lathe to make interesting but mostly useless objects from locally-sequestered carbon for tourists to bring back to the city to give to people they had to buy something for but don't like that well. His target market is the senior citizens since their vision is not as good as it used to be so cannot see the defects as well.
Saturday, January 28, 2006
Sunday, January 22, 2006
Friday, January 20, 2006
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Mc Kiobben says on page 236 TV misses information on:
- physical limits on our finite world
- sufficiency and need
- proper scale
- real time
- sensual pleasure of exertion and exposure to the weather
- the need for community
- real skills
The biggest lesson TV teaches us is we need to be part of a consumer society and be hip about what is on TV or people will ridicule us.
I finally have found a use for a video camera. The next time you watch TV set up a video camera and record yourself watching TV for 30 minutes. Then spend the next 30 minutes watching yourself watch TV. After that 30 minutes if you decide to go back and watch more TV, try to understand how the TV producers make TV hold your attention or hypnotize you in ways that watching yourself watching TV cannot. Are you that boring to watch? or does TV use tricks not seen in the natural world to trick you into continuing to pay attention?
Monday, January 02, 2006
Past posts you fortunately may have missed
- ► 2016 (137)
- ► 2015 (185)
- ► 2014 (143)
- ► 2013 (224)
- ► 2012 (392)
- ► 2011 (389)
- ► 2010 (446)
- ► 2009 (354)
- ► 2008 (274)
- ► 2007 (193)
- God's country at 8AM on a Saturday in January
- Sunrise at Garbin Moraine Manor
- The neighbor across Mud Lake
- 8 AM on a Saturday. It looks like March but it is...
- The sun rising as seen near the front entrance of...
- The feral (?) cat awaiting a trip to the Humane S...
- Finally a day with sunshine and blue sky.
- Snow finally beginning to cover the fence.
- More snow. Maybe we can snowshoe on Saturday
- With luck this will soon have a feral cat for deli...
- Firewood as of January 18th (The whole east side ...
- This has to last until warm weather (notice it has...
- The Age of Missing Information by Bill McKibben
- Snow covering the deck
- Standing on the shoulders of short people
- ▼ January (15)