TWW is The Warped Woodturner who is a local artist living in a suburb of Springbrook, WI (pop 87). His mission is to use a wood lathe to make interesting but mostly useless objects from locally-sequestered carbon for tourists to bring back to the city to give to people they had to buy something for but don't like that well. His target market is the senior citizens since their vision is not as good as it used to be so cannot see the defects as well.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Another crackpot letter to the editor in the making
As the country rushes into the era of hope, change and runaway spending it's useful to look back at how it might have been. Twenty years ago Reagan with help from the Democrat party passed a Social Security reform bill to save the program. Reagan conveniently forgot his free market values and signed the reform at the time. But instead of investing the extra social security tax we had to pay, the government spent it all. Just think if that extra money had been invested say in home mortgages. Sure some of it would have been lost with the housing bubble bursting but that is better than all of the money gone being spent by the government. But true hope and change may be on the way. After initially, poohpooing George Bush's ideas on saving Social Security by investing the money in the stock market, the Democrats have come around and started doing just that with the recent purchases of GM, Chrysler and bank stocks. Capitalizing on this momentum there is a second way we can help save Social Security. The government can take the returns on investments from the Social Security trust funds in education and infrastructure and put that money back into the trust funds so it can be invested again or used to pay recipients like any normal pension fund would do.
Past posts you fortunately may have missed
- ► 2016 (137)
- ► 2015 (185)
- ► 2014 (143)
- ► 2013 (224)
- ► 2012 (392)
- ► 2011 (389)
- ► 2010 (446)
- Infrastructure crumbling - blame Bush
- Latest contribution from the neighbors
- Latest embryonic letter to editor
- Addition to the F-W It List
- Two more versions of the same bowl design
- Rhymes with Bucket List
- Eco roof job begun
- Weather at the cabin
- Wrong kind of plumbing snake creates a mess
- TWW now thinks he is a trapper
- joke of the day
- Gray and cold for this time of year in the Era of...
- Fence contest - TWW's family loses
- Another crackpot letter to the editor in the makin...
- Cheaper than college
- Another half-baked, crackpot TWW Commentary on Gov...
- Trails in the woods
- If it has no function then it is art
- Miss Firefly moves to BANANAland today
- Visit by Miss Firefly 1968
- more global warming news
- ▼ July (21)
- ► 2008 (274)
- ► 2007 (193)
- ► 2006 (175)